Monday, May 19, 2008

Double Standard - Maybe ?

What is it with the double standard of the world we all live in today. Why is it right for people to take potshots at our black political candidates and just be able to apologize it away but everything said by anyone vaguely connected to the same black candidate or someone he might have know in his life automatically becomes his thoughts, ideals and morals. Point of reference - Rev. Jeremiah Wright. Of all the speeches and sermons he has preached in his career, white America latches on to 5 minutes of pieced together statements and all of a sudden Barack Obama shares his philosophies and ideals. That is the biggest line of B.S. I have ever heard. Follow me here.

During a speech before the National Rifle Association convention Friday afternoon in Louisville, Kentucky, former Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee — who has endorsed presumptive GOP nominee John McCain — joked that an unexpected offstage noise was Democrat Barack Obama looking to avoid a gunman.

“That was Barack Obama, he just tripped off a chair, he's getting ready to speak,” said the former Arkansas governor, to audience laughter. “Somebody aimed a gun at him and he dove for the floor.”

Obama supports extending the assault weapons ban, limits on gun sales, and a national law against carrying concealed weapons, with exceptions for retired police and military personnel.

UPDATE, 8:28 PM: Huckabee released the following statement regarding his comments Friday, according to the New York Times website:

During my speech at the N.R.A., a loud noise backstage, that sounded like a chair falling, distracted the crowd and interrupted my speech. I made an off hand remark that was in no way intended to offend or disparage Sen. Obama. I apologize that my comments were offensive. That was never my intention.

Is that it? Is that all we get. Why is not the world crucifying John McCain for hanging out with this clown. Could we safely say that his statement is representative of the whole Republican Party or even further, the whole Anglo-Saxon race. How can they say Rev. Wright speaks for all of the blacks and at the same time, the whites do not have an all inclusive spokesman.

There is a serious double standard going on and it has to stop. We live in America so I do believe in free speech but I also believe the playing field should be level. I do not like what Huckabee said but I have to respect his right to say it. As for Rev Wright, I believe the same. I would not have said it at such a crucial time and might have gone underground for the time being but like I used to say about O.J Simpson, "If he is guilty of the crimes, He should be punished, I don't know why he would have done it, But I understand"

Peace And Blessings